Posted: Feb 15 2015, 09:30 PM
chanteuse • 29
tinkerbell • sixteen
disney fairies
Group Icon

taika seppä

taika seppä

nicknames:
Tyke (Her first name is pronounce TIE-kah)

canon character:
tinkerbell

fandom:
peter pan & disney's fairies

blood status:
half-blood

member group:
ravenclaw sixth year

wand:
Hawthorn, Unicorn hair, 14"

patronus:
zebra

face claim:
elle fanning

other:
list all that apply.
✖ 10 Random Survey Questions

1) Grab the book nearest to you, turn to a random page, give me line 17.
He was the old-timey gaspy kind of preacher, sucking in and spouting out air, ending practically every line with an inflection. - The Evening Hour - A. Carter Sickels

2) What’s your astrological sign?
Aries, April 14th

3) How do you vent your anger?
I explode after holding it in for too long.

4) Do you have a collection of anything?
Inventions and spare parts.

5) What’s a sound you hate; sound you love?
Mouth breathers. When whatever I'm working on clicks into place or begins to do what it's supposed to. So anything from a whirring gear to a chiming bell.

6) What’s the last thing you purchased?
A set of multicolor ballpoint pen refills, which I then inserted into quills, because I'm sick of archaic inkwells.

7) Stick your right arm out; what do you touch first? Do the same with your left arm.
A stack of text books. My latest project.

8) Do you tend to hold grudges against people who have done you wrong?
I really try not to, but if someone is mean to you why would you want to forgive them and be their friend? But then when the situation is flipped around and I'm the one who's been a bad friend I always wish I could have a second chance.

9) What would you smell if a batch of Amortentia were brewed in your presence?
Pumpkin muffins, lemonade, and motor oil.

10) What is the single best decision you have made in your life so far?
To be myself and not care what anyone else has to say about it.

✖ Nine Quotes to Live By

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

"Adolescents are not monsters. They are just people trying to learn how to make it among the adults in the world, who are probably not so sure themselves." - Virginia Satir

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." - Benjamin Franklin

"The jealous are troublesome to others, but a torment to themselves." - William Penn

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein

"It is better to be alone than in bad company." - George Washington

"Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine." - Nikola Tesla

"Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings." - Salvador Dali

"A good designer must rely on experience, on precise, logic thinking; and on pedantic exactness. No magic will do." - Niklaus Wirth

✖ Eight Likes & Dislikes

# Muggle Machinery
# Independent study
# Hiking...adventuring in general
# Electronic Music

# Hitting "the wall" when studying
# Being told what to do
# Group work of any kind.
# Most classes - she prefers to learn by doing, not sitting in a lecture taking notes

✖ Seven Prized Possessions

+ Her toolkit
+ Her wand
+ A poster of Kaija Saariaho - a half blood Finnish composer
+ Her favorite mug featuring Snufkin from the Moomins; a series of children's books by Finnish author Tove Jansson
+ Her favorite English book Matilda
+ Her favorite Finnish book Möbiuksen maa
+ Her sewing machine - she likes experimenting with her style

✖ Six Positive & Negative Traits

^ Curious
^ Inventive
^ Adventurous

^ Short-Tempered
^ Self-Centered
^ Envious

✖ Five Memories

AGE 6
Mommy never touches anything anymore. She used to. Everything was done by touch. Ever since daddy went away she started using this stick for everything. She only has to wave this little thing around and say a few words like the fairy godmother in Cinderella and poof! Things just happen. She cooks from the couch. She says I can't tell anyone at school, though. It's a secret. And she'll tell me more when I'm older. When I tried to get the stick from her pocket she struck me. It made me angry, so I told my classmates today. Mommy picked me up early from school. The counselor said "It's just how she's coping with your husband's absence from the home. Making up stories for attention." Mommy is packing all of our things into a suitcase. I mean all of it. Even the couch is going in somehow. We're leaving Finland.

AGE 8
Mommy took me to a park today - it's called Kensington Gardens and it's not far from our new home. There's a statue of a boy with lots of animals around the bottom up the path from the playground. It's my favorite place to be, since the playground is full of little kids. She says that we can go there whenever I'd like. I do like it here....in England, I mean - not just the park. I still can't tell anyone about our secret, but there's not really anyone to tell since I don't go to school anymore. Mommy takes care of my studies from home. We do a lot of hands on things, since she knows that's what I like best. She says there's much more I need to learn. I'm already pretty good at reading and math, though, so I'm not sure why she's freaking out.

AGE 11
Now I know why we left Finland five years ago. A letter came for me today from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. I've known for a couple of years now that I'm part witch, and I knew I would go to school for it some day. Mom just wasn't sure when - or if I would for sure be able to go to Hogwarts. Apparently kids from Finland usually go to another school called Durmstrang - but since my dad wasn't magic they wouldn't let me in when I came of age. So she decided to move to England for a fresh start and to hopefully have me in the vicinity of the school here. And it worked. We're making the short trip to Charring Cross Road to get to Diagon Alley for my supplies. We've been there before but it's even more exciting to get to go and shop for myself now. Mom spent the last three years changing my environment to entrench me in all things magical. When I was first born we lived as Muggles, then for awhile I had a foot in both worlds. Now I might have a toe in the muggle world. Just enough for us to get by living in the bustling city of London. And even then I heard mom on the phone the other day making calls to real estate agents in Yorkshire....North Yorkshire...Leppington....which is where people spend way too much money for way too much land in the middle of way too much nowhere. I'm going to miss living in the city - but I guess I should get used to not living here since I'll be a boarder in a castle - A CASTLE! - in Scotland for the next seven years off and on.

AGE 13
I can't believe it's been two whole years of school already. I've made plenty of friends, across the houses, but sometimes I can be the one person that nobody wants to be around. I've been told I have a bit of an obsession with Muggle Studies, and I've been scolded more than once by our HoH to stop leaving bits and bobs of machines lying around the common areas. I just can't help it. There's something so much more fascinating to me about tinkering with the mundane than learning to solve everything with a wave of my wand. Where would half these people be without magic? Honestly? It's so frustrating. Sure I'm doing okay in my classes - most of the people in my house are still in disbelief that I was placed here - but it's hard for me to really excel unless it's something I'm passionate about and interested in. Maybe once I can start choosing electives in the coming year I'll do better academically. I just don't want to be the Ravenclaw Reject anymore.

AGE 16
I'm really excited about this vintage sewing machine I got over the break! I've gotten tired of never being able to find cute clothes that are also practical in the stores so I've decided to start making my own clothes. I'll start out with simple designs for now - I don't want to get ahead of myself - but I made a really sweet bag today out of a pillow case and got all kinds of compliments on it in potions. I usually hate spellwork but when it comes to enhancing objects I'm game. Nothing like packing a cauldron and all my other supplies in a small purse. I learned that spell from mom years ago, though, so I can still say Hogwarts is wasting their time trying to teach me incantations. I don't want to turn a mouse into a teapot. That's just cruel. Oh well, one more year to go and I'm out of here and can stick to doing the kind of magic that I actually like.

✖ Four Opinions About Her

From a friend:
"Taika is one of my best friends, and she's got a...unique personality. It seems like she's kind of up and down emotionally speaking. If you catch her on a bad day she'll be shooting daggers at you. That usually happens when she's stuck on where to go next with a project. But on her good days she's sweet as can be. It's taken six years but I like to think I'm used to her mood swings now. Some others aren't, but as Taika says 'That's their problem'. Oh, one thing I will add is the fact that she can be naive, even for someone as old as we are. I think it's because she takes things so literally and never had to worry about questioning people's motives or words growing up being home-schooled by her mom. Sometimes her naivety can get her into trouble, because she gets so intrigued about trying to figure something out, she doesn't realize the consequences that can come with her investigating. Either that or she doesn't care about them."

From her Mother:
"Taika on tehnyt minusta ylpeä olla hänen äitinsä . Hän onhyvin älykäs ja lahjakas . Tiedän eräänä päivänä hän tekee suuria asioita tässä maailmassa . Hän on valoisa ja kaunis ja .... okei , joskus hän voi olla vähän kuumapäisenä . Mutta hän on turhautunut niin helposti , ja on kova itsensä , kun hän voi tajuta jotain ." (Taika has made me proud to be her mother . She is a very smart and talented. I know one day she will do great things in this world . She is bright and beautiful and .... okay , sometimes she can be a bit hot-headed . But she is frustrated so easily , and is hard on herself , when she can not figure something out .)

From a Professor:
"Taika is a very bright girl - she has the potential to be an excellent witch. She just....she's okay with eking by and doing well enough in her studies. She seems more preoccupied with studying what goes into the magic (and non magic) than actually figuring out how to use it and what to use it for. Now she's not as bad for that as she used to be. Now that she understands basic theoretical concepts she sees the use in certain classes - especially potions, herbology, and care of magical creatures. I think she has a predilection for tangible things that she can make by hand, hold, touch, raise, create. Not so much when it comes to charms or divination. Incantations aren't in her immediate wheelhouse. There are a few in every class. You just have to know how to teach them."

From a classmate:
"I was worried when I was sorted into Ravenclaw with Taika that she would be more competition for me to be top in our class. But now I know there's no reason to fret. She's actually kind of dense, and stubborn about a lot of things. She also has a smart mouth and sasses professors when they try to help her and she doesn't want their help. She's always trying to do things on her own. She really should have been in Slytherin. She's kind of a bitch to be honest. But you didn't hear it from me."

✖ Three Inspired Outfits

ravenclaw pride
tinkerbell
work flow

✖ Two Goals

- Do decently enough on her N.E.W.T.S. & O.W.L.S. to get a job she actually enjoys
- Work on keeping her temper in check, and try not to blame others for her own mistakes.

✖ One Poem

The mind never touches its own kind.
Still, no one is allowed to detach a single piece from your body:
to cut off a finger or pull out a tooth,
for you are spread evenly all over your body.
One and undivided, omnipresent.
Just like a whole amounts to more than its parts,
also a whole from which a part has been removed
lacks more than just the missing part.

- ANNI SUMARI

CONNECTIONS
Name: Taika means "magic" and Seppä means "smith" so altogether her name is "magic smith". Tinkerbell is a Tinker Fairy, so making/inventing/repairing/tinkering is her power. Since the names are Finnish, and I chose Taika originally out of a long list of girl's names beginning with T, I took the Finland theme and ran with it.

House: I was torn between Slytherin and Ravenclaw - the Tink from the original movie would most definitely be in Slytherin. But the new Tink with an actual personality and voice and backstory is most definitely in Ravenclaw - even if she still has her moments of self-centeredness. In fact, I took the Pottermore quiz with her muse and that was the result.

Wand: This was actually a toughie. I tried the Pottermore wand quiz but wasn't happy with the result, and then the one I usually use gave me three results but none were especially sound in their reasonings. So I just picked one of the three and went with that.

Patronus: Originally I was going to pick a field mouse but that's not really fitting for her. So I went to a wiki page with a list of Patronuses and their meanings. Zebra, all the way at the bottom of the list, was the perfect match, because she's different and looks at things outside the box.

Snufkin Mug: The character of Snufkin reminds me of Peter Pan - "Snufkin wears old green clothes and a wide-brimmed hat that he has had since birth. He lives in a tent, smokes a pipe and plays the harmonica. Snufkin also has a great dislike for authority figures" - so he's the character on the mug that she has.

Tinkering: A great deal of her personality is based around the fact that she loves finding things and making other things out of them, as well as fixing up and repairing broken things. This comes from Tink being a tinker fairy and breaking out from the pack in the Disney Fairies movie series. She's inventive and loves muggle objects since they're more nostalgic than anything else for her. Just like Tink is fascinated with the mainland and human stuff, and using the things she finds to make life easier for the fairies - even the ones who have magic powers are helped by the more practical and mundane things Tink invents.

Playby: She's too freakin cute. Look at that baby face!

Finland: I may have gotten carried away with it but after the connections were made with the name I just couldn't stop. And since Tink kind of shows up as an orphan and has to learn how things work in Neverland after everyone else's stories are established, I tried to recreate that here. She was in Finland long enough to develop a tie and identity to it, and still miss her homeland, but not so long that she feels like a complete outsider once she gets to school. It holds a mystery and anchor to her old muggle style of living that she can find different connections to, such as the actual Finnish composer that I decided to make a half-blood witch, the Finnish sci-fi book that's similar to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland as her favorite book, and the poem at the end written by a modern Finnish poet. It put me in mind of how Taika is obsessive with the details and parts of her inventions, but she also has parts herself as is mentioned in the poem. And she's still missing that part of her identity from her dad and you can see that in how she's still clinging to that part of her past.

chant | est | mel, kristoff, peg, and connell

PMEmail
^
Lark
 Posted: Feb 22 2015, 03:34 AM
I'M A • 166
LITTLE • twenty-four
TEAPOT
Group Icon

accepted

Welcome to Amortentia! Your application has been accepted, and you're free to start roleplaying with our other members. Don't forget your claims.
Let's get Hogwarts tech friendly!

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
new reply
new poll

Skin made by Tana @ Cosmo, Shine, and ATF.

The Beginning We Have Dragons The Omniverse Geek Zone: RPGs and a great community Swan Song
BTW Ages of Arda Once Upon A City
TLBYE