fl

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
new reply
new poll

DURMSTRANG, --Katelyn Tano
Lark
 Posted: Feb 20 2015, 09:31 PM
I'M A • 166
LITTLE • twenty-four
TEAPOT
Group Icon

first task
Darkness. Curious, though, as just a moment before you were standing on the other side of this wall in the brilliant haze of a sun in the stage between harsh winter light and a soft spring glow. But a quick glance toward the ceiling shows a dark, starry night sky through a set of cage-like bars a good twenty feet above you. Against the velvet blue of the sky, black silhouettes can be seen from a distance. The stands -- your audience; and their chatter buzzes through the air. The door behind you slams shut with the heavy sound of a metal lock, and suddenly... hush. Eerie quiet.

Far ahead, the glow of four standing torches illuminates a stone pedestal at their center. In the flickering light atop the stone surface rests a small wooden cube. You know what you must do, and yet... Recall the warning Headmaster Wayne gave you before sending you through that heavy wooden door:

"You are not alone."

With that thought in mind, you listen. Through the glass-like tinkle of dripping water that echoes off the in the darkness, there is something else... A steady rhythm, like a quiet rush of air over and over again. For a moment -- just one -- there is a pause, and then the cadence continues a little louder and a little faster.

And so your challenge begins.

information
OBJECTIVE: Starting at point A, retrieve the wooden cube at point B and carry it out through the door at point C.

SETTING: Near pitch black conditions in a dungeon-esque room 400 feet long and 200 feet wide. At the center is a circle of light cast by torches with roughly a 100 foot diameter -- this is the only area of the room immediately visible to the Champion. Click here for visual schematics.

GOALS: Complete the objective in 4 or 5 rounds. The completion of three or more rounds by the Champion is considered a success. The objective may be completed on round 3, but will be considered "barely successful". If the objective is completed on rounds 4 or 5, the Champion is "highly successful". If Interference stalls the Champion for six or more rounds, the Champion is "moderately successful". Failure to complete three rounds will result in "task failure".

If Interference does not reply within three days of the Champion during any round, the Champion may move onto the next round and mildly Power Play the Interference's failure to intercept, stall, or stop them. If this occurs on Round Four or higher, the Champion may claim an automatic success in their post. If an interference player misses a three day deadline, they will not be allowed to play another interference role in the tournament.

MECHANICS: The task starts with an Introduction Round the week before MAR 01 in which the Champion replies to the task introduction with thoughts and a reaction to the conditions presented. They may act toward their objective, but may not continue past point B without allowing Interference a chance to react.

Round One begins on MAR 01 with a reply post from Interference, followed by a response from the Champion.

Round Two and beyond follow the format of Round One.

Champions have until MAR 21 to complete their objective.

Interference will present challenges and obstacles for the Champion to overcome. The Champion's ingenuity and realism in how they overcome, or fail to overcome, each threat or distraction will be reflected in their score at the end of the task.

PREPARATION: The Champion is armed with only their wand and their wits. The Champion has been told to retrieve the wooden cube in the room and carry it out through the door on the other side. A single warning has been issued: "You are not alone."

OOC: In the week leading up to Round One, the players of the Champions may PM a staff member up to two questions pertaining to the task. Choose your questions well, as the staff will answer them ONLY to the point of knowledge your character would have. For example, a question like "What is in the room with me?" would receive the answer "Four standing torches with a pedestal at their center. Atop the pedestal is a small wooden cube". Players may PM the staff another question at the beginning of each round of play. Keep in mind: we will not complete your task for you.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail
^
katelyn tano
 Posted: Feb 22 2015, 02:12 AM
Mella • 45
Ahsoka Tano • seventeen
StarWars:TheCloneWars
Group Icon

A door. Huh. I had been expecting worse. A dragon, or some terror of the night. But it was just a very large door. I can barely hear myself think over the roaring of the crowds. I know out in the stands, at least two of them are cheering for me. I mean, if Skyguy wasn't, I was going to be highly offended. Anniken is literally all the people I really know in Durmstrang. That and some firsties. Just think, he'd say. It can't be all that bad, he'd say. Anya would be next to him somewhere, saying something in Russian that she knows I won't understand.

Great, now I'm trying to distract myself with what Skyguy and Anya would be saying. It is just a door Kate. Wood and iron...and instructions. It's time. The adrenaline in me has been going since I entered the area of screams and cheers. Hogwarts kids were freaking loud. But at first when it was just shaky hands, it was now pulling me and my mind along for the ride. Focus...ignore it. Use it later. I am not afraid. I have never truly been afraid.

So is that why I was feeling so weird now?

Stop it, Kate. Go in the dark room, get a box, leave the other end. Wait. What? This was supposed to be a challenge? I could do this. I nodded to the Hogwarts headmaster and the door silently opened. There was the box. In plain sight. Even lit up by torches.

And even as the Skyguy in my head is reminding me of patience (he could use his own advice sometimes), there is something whispered in my ear just as I cross the threshold into the dungeon.

"You are not alone."

The door snapped shut behind me, all noise gone in an instant. In the silence, my heart was trying to escape my chest. There was no way someone or something couldn't hear it. No, I was alone. Was that a trick? Trying to put me and the others on edge? It wasn't going to work.

I can still see the box. It's slightly easier now with less light to fight. But as the blood stops rushing through my ears, I hear something moving. It was not a trick.

I am not alone. But I am not afraid. Why?

I am never afraid.

And I have a plan.

~~~~~~***~~~~~~

Tag: Interference/Staff Notes: One door opens and another one closes and you keep on going til you find a window.
Outfit

♥ ty talyn!
PM
^
Chanteuse
 Posted: Feb 26 2015, 05:18 PM
chanteuse • 156
SuperAdmin • twenty-one
Game Of DisneyPotterTrek
Group Icon

everything i touch isn't dark enough
Puffs of steam roiled out of dripping nostrils and coiled into the cool, damp air of the room. Jet black eyes were closed to its surroundings, after being moved from its holding cell to the dungeon, while under a sleeping draught. The steady breath of easy slumber was short lived as soon as the door to the dungeon opened, and the she-human entered its domain.

The eyes shot open like a bolt, darting first to the precious treasure on its pedestal. It couldn't see the human yet, but it could smell it. The draft of air pushed into the room from the door opening, and then again when it closed, washed the natural scent of her up its nostrils, firing up its natural tracking ability.

Blearily it rose to its feet - towering, still in the shadows, at an impressive 8 feet tall, and 600 lbs of hard packed muscle; a size that would intimidate even the strongest of humans.

Its vision, unhindered even in the dark for up to 20 yards, was useless because of the pillars blocking the female - and it knew the human was a female, the smell of her fearful sweat was riddled with pheromones. And it definitely knew it was human. Nothing stunk like a human. Fleshy, squealing, jabbering....thieving humans.

Its eyes darted away from the pillar to the pedestal. It was closer to the box than she. Why was she here? She must want the treasure! But why wasn't she moving? Did she know what was waiting for her? The creature began to panic, the breathing getting harder as it paced by the wall, back and forth. No rational thought, no thought at all, occurred in the fevered brain of the creature. Only impulse, and violence, and protection over what is most precious.

Suddenly it barreled into her line of sight, standing between her and the pedestal, just behind the pillars with the light of the circle creating a halo through its hair. And there was a lot of it.

Matted, thick, and sticking out every which way (as it was in the midst of shedding its winter coat) - the dusty black fur that covered the thick hide of the beast was unsettling on sight. As were the white horns jutting from the sides of the monstrous head, and curving forward to deadly points for optimal goring like those of the famed Miura Bulls.

This was certainly no human, despite walking on two legs and having the upper body of a man - even through the fur one could see the rippling pectoral muscles of the torso and the angrily bulging biceps on the arms that ended in hands the size of hams, and even those had sharp claws on the digits.

It snorted at her once in warning, rearing its ugly bovine head and stamping one hoofed foot on the stone floor of the dungeon. It had no words. But if this human were like the others, it wouldn't need them.

She was small and female and weak.

She would not best him.

She would not get his treasure.

She would lose.

You are not alone.

PMEmailAIM
^
katelyn tano
 Posted: Feb 26 2015, 06:01 PM
Mella • 45
Ahsoka Tano • seventeen
Group Icon

I can hear it, whatever it is, pacing, panicking almost. My heart tried to race faster, but I just took a deep breath and waited. It could just be an enchantment. Nothing less than something just to freak me out.

I knew already I wanted to avoid the light. It was the only source in the entire room. That would just scream "Please, attack me now." But the shadows weren't much better, since if the thing wasn't in the light, it could only be in the dark.

Wait, darker. How could it get darker? The torches hadn't been blown out or anything. But the breathing had moved. I looked up. And up. And still up. Wow, this thing was taller than Skyguy. And he was pretty freaking tall.

Hair. Muscles. Sharp claws. Holy crap. Now would be a good time to panic.

But that wasn't in mind. All that was in mind was, how the bloody hell did they sneak a Minotaur into the castle with absolutely no one seeing it?

Great priorities here Kate. Just stellar.

I was decently fast on my own, but trying to outrun this thing was not going to work. And I still had to get to the box, and the other door. Blinding. Blinding could be worth a shot. I wasn't expecting the thing this soon.

Flashbulb effect time. I covered my eyes with the sleeve of my sweatshirt (probably should have taken it off beforehand, too late now.) "Lumos." and then right after, "Nox." I just barely saw the light go on and off, and then I was running. Next pillar, away from the monstrosity. Still no panic. But lots of adrenaline. That would be good to use now.

I pressed my back against the next pillar. Think. Think. Minotaurs. I most likely read something about them. I literally have had nothing but free time to read for the past fourteen years. One had to be about Greek stuff. But just seeing the Minotaur, I could tell it was top-heavy. Turning for it would be hell. But...

I still wasn't fast enough, but I could be. Quickly, somehow not letting go of my wand (or snapping it. That would be bad), I pulled my Durmstrang sweatshirt off over my head. I was going to need this.

Once more, flashbulb. Keep away from the Minotaur was about to begin. I ran to the farthest pillar, where I could just barely see the outline of the next door. More adrenaline pumping. Never done this while this fight-or-flight-y.

Time to show the world what I could do.

The world was going to get a lot bigger.

~~~~~~***~~~~~~

Tag: Interference/Staff Notes: One door opens and another one closes and you keep on going til you find a window.
Outfit

♥ ty talyn!
PM
^
Chanteuse
 Posted: Feb 27 2015, 08:30 AM
chanteuse • 156
SuperAdmin • twenty-one
Game Of DisneyPotterTrek
Group Icon

Unblinking pools of ebony stared her down, keeping an eye out for her every move. She really wasn't doing much of anything and he began to grow restless. He wished he could speak, and tell her to leave this place. She was not welcome. He took a step forward, hoping to intimidate the foolish human. He saw her lift her arm and snorted, almost in amusement. Was she scared? Is that why she covered the freakish golden brown eyes in that weirdly shaped pink face?

He went to take another step forward, roaring this time as the whole world went white at the sound of her voice. Oh, to have a voice and words! Oh, to have sight! At least he still had his sense of smell as he continued to come for her, stumbling after her and reaching, hoping for purchase. He could hear her running and roared once more.

It would be foolish to give chase while his eyes were useless and she was more agile and quick than he. He would need to retreat to the shadows, and keep her scent close. He followed the smell, walking at a shamble and rubbing his eyes. Stars and colors began to dance in front of them now. She was too far away, nothing but gray stone ending in blackness 60 feet out from him.

The human didn't realize he was as far away as he was as the tiny flash in the distance alerted him to her location by a stone pillar at the opposite end of the expansive dungeon. She had tried to blind him again. He growled and emerged from his hiding place into the central area where his precious box was. He wanted nothing more than to charge at her and run her through with his horns for disturbing him and hurting his eyes as she had.

She could see him and that was fine, But he could see her as well, and she probably didn't know that. She probably thought she was safe now in the shadows. She looked slightly different, and he realized the bulky top cover she had had on was now in her hand. She looked even smaller now that she didn't have it on.

He snorted again, daring her to come any closer. She could just go through the door at the end of the room and be gone. Though his mind was far too clouded by animal instinct to realize it, the blinding efforts would have no effect in the circle of light he had taken refuge in, and he was within the torches and close enough to the box that she would have an awful hard time getting her fleshy hooves on it. He wanted to attack but he wanted to protect his box even more. He felt confident that she would not be successful in her mission.

PMEmailAIM
^
katelyn tano
 Posted: Feb 27 2015, 11:51 AM
Mella • 45
Ahsoka Tano • seventeen
Group Icon

It was hard to keep my eyes open while I was changing. The people watching were going to be in for a show...or a shocker. Either way. Going from one form to another was disconcerting, especially since everything was about to be thrown off. I kept my eyes open long enough to see the creature go to the light. Great.

Because as useful as it was, being a cat trying to grab things without thumbs was hard enough. I could now see how it was a challenge, if the cow hadn't been enough of a giveaway in the first place.

I finally felt the transformation end. I stretched out and flexed my claws, yawning. It was always a little nerve-wracking doing this, in case something went horribly wrong. I opened my eyes and blinked lazily. Smelly cow. Eww--I hear mice. My ears flicked in different directions, trying to find the scampering creatures through the noise of the cow and the water dripping, but I brought my focus back to where it needed to be, in the here and now. My sweatshirt was right next to me, lying abandoned. I didn't question where the rest of my clothes went. They were always back when I decided to be a semi-normal human being again. Everything was slightly brighter now. Yay for cats being able to see in the dark. Well, ish. I couldn't see the very far ends of the rooms.

Warm. Fuzzy. Want to sleep. Ignoring the part of me that now wanted to use my sweatshirt as a pillow and take a nap (I have so many spastic thoughts as a cat, why am I a cat?), I pushed the article of clothing out from behind the pillar. It was time to play. Cat and mouse...except I was the mouse...not sure how this was going to work out.

I ran away from the sweatshirt, trying to get behind the Minotaur. Someone was going to have an exceptionally bad day.

~~~~~~***~~~~~~

Tag: Interference Notes: Here kitty kitty!
Outfit

♥ ty talyn!
PM
^
Chanteuse
 Posted: Feb 27 2015, 07:43 PM
chanteuse • 156
SuperAdmin • twenty-one
Game Of DisneyPotterTrek
Group Icon

One minute the human was shuffling by the pillar and the next she was gone. He blinked incredulously. How had she disappeared? He grunted in confusion. Hopefully she had gone back to wherever she came from, but he doubted that. Her smell was gone too....no...still there, but only a trace of it.

But there was something else there with him. It smelled different. Warm, with fur. Safe and relaxed. He wasn't sure how it had gotten in without him knowing, or how she had gotten out without a trace.

He was still on alert, and became jumpier as a long tail flicked at the base of the pillar where the girl had stood moments before. A cat was taking its time and leisurely stretching by a pile of clothing. Her clothing. That's where her smell was lingering. He couldn't comprehend the magic. Humans were always so tricky! But now she was a cat - maybe she wasn't a human after all? He had never heard of these creatures. But it still had no business being in his domain and confusing him and getting him all worked up.

Then it was darting away, and he turned, searching for it as it disappeared into the shadows. If he knew any curses they would be spilling out now from his fuzzy floppy lips. He reeled around to face the box and the entrance, tottering a bit on his hooves as he spun in place and kept his eyes peeled for the new foe. He wanted to take the box from the pedestal and run away with it - but then it wouldn't be special anymore. That's where it belonged, right where it was. He would squash the foolish cat if it came into the light.

PMEmailAIM
^
katelyn tano
 Posted: Mar 1 2015, 12:27 AM
Mella • 45
Ahsoka Tano • seventeen
Group Icon

It could not spin. Well. It could not spin well. Operative word there. This had possibilties. But first things first, see how mad I could make it.

The cat part of me wanted to be doing seventy-six different things all at once, all of which would end with me taking an extended nap...not that I hadn't ever done that before. What else was I supposed to do after I learned? I hadn't been expecting to go to Durmstrang. I wanted to do something challenging. Never thought I'd use it for a semi-practical thing.

Ugh, spastic thoughts, not helping! Cat problems. Being an Animagus made you think of how certain aspects must show when you're human....and there went my thoughts again. Stay focused. Stay focused. Ignore the noises. I crouched down and started scooting towards the edge of the light, following the swishing tail. This minotaur was still angry.

I darted into the light, racing between the cow-man's legs, swiping at the fluffy tassel on the end of his tail. I almost got it. Must try again. I skidded to a halt and flipped back around, running at his tail again. And again.

Come on, turn away from the box, away from the box....CATCH THE FLYING THING. This was one of the few times being a cat was super fun. No other way to say it.

I spotted an opening. Oh my god please let this work. CATCH THE---no, must focus. i sprang over the swishing tail, onto the pedastal. Ooop, not enough room, not enough room! I just barely landed on the pedastal. The box skidded off it's perch, and landed on the ground.

Okay, closer. Little steps. Little steps were good.

~~~~~~***~~~~~~

Tag: Interference Notes: little spazzy kitty XD
Outfit

♥ ty talyn!
PM
^
Chanteuse
 Posted: Mar 1 2015, 11:21 AM
chanteuse • 156
SuperAdmin • twenty-one
Game Of DisneyPotterTrek
Group Icon

The minotaur bellowed as the animal dashed into the light and flew between his legs. He knew he couldn't turn and chase after it, that's exactly what it wanted. He braced himself, crouching a bit. Sure his massive size was intimidating but it was a long way down to the ground. Even giraffes had to do the splits to drink from time to time. This was how he felt as he bent, ready to grab the creature on its return trip. But it never came, it just kept swiping at his tail, and he grew irritated.

He took a step back, in a half turn, ready to squash the menace once and for all, but when he stamped his hoof down it merely cracked the stone floor. The cat was no longer there. He heard the sound of wood against stone moments later. Strange. He turned slowly, looking over his shoulder as he did so to see the orange tabby perched on the pedestal and the box.....the box...THE BOX!

He roared and turned too quickly, his hooves entangling and bringing him down - hard. The dungeon shook and the box rattled on the ground. The torches fell from their holders and the dungeon was plunged into total darkness as their whistling descent to the floor snuffed out the flames.

He was beyond angered. The human-she-cat had gone too far. He opened his mouth to emit a thunderous, murderous cry of vengeance, rolling like a turtle to right himself and come to his hands and knees, determined to keep low to the ground like the cat in order to capture her.

PMEmailAIM
^
katelyn tano
 Posted: Mar 1 2015, 11:25 PM
Mella • 45
Ahsoka Tano • seventeen
Group Icon

I somehow managed to stay on the pedestal as everything else shook. Well who'd have thunk it. A cat just cow-tipped a...well, a cow. That was fun.

What was not fun was the absence of the last of the light as the torches all fell and went out with their snake trails of smoke marking their descent. Sure, as a cat I could see well in low light, better than a human. But that required there to be light in the first place. And as the torches scattered, light flashed off the other door in the far distance.

Even if the box had landed on my sweatshirt (oh my god, wait, it had. Great!), I could not get that door open without thumbs. Anniken would have his "we're in trouble look" by now, if he didn't have it already after my little display of cat spazziness.

An idea popped into my head. This could still work. But I'd have to say goodbye to my alter ego. Risks, benefits, they didn't look too good. But I was running out of ideas. Ugh, too many buts. But this, but that. The time for patience was gone. This was my only shot with the least amount of chances of being seen.

I started changing back, from cat to human. I couldn't imagine how it looked, just that it felt like it took no time at all. And time was something I did not have extra of. It could still find me...maybe. It could definitely smell me.

Now crouched on the pedestal, wand in hand, I breathed the word. "Aguamenti." In the pitch black darkness, I heard the water hit the ground. I didn't stop the spell for a while, the seconds feeling like hours.

This had to be enough. Please please please. Another breathed word. "Glacius." The air temperature dropped. I crouched even closer to the stone surface I was on and jumped. I landed on ice and immediately started sliding. The air tugged on the loose stands of my hair escaping my bun. I crouched down, going even faster and stuck my left arm out, scooping up my sweatshirt and box in the process from its thin layer of ice.

Box in hand, I couldn't see. I needed to see. Needed the door. Needed out. And the ice was running out. "Lumos!" I didn't mean to shout, but I was getting desperate. The light was blinding, but it flashed off the door handle. Exit. Needed out

I sprinted, heart trying to beat out of my chest. Knob. Dark. Knob dark knob dark. It kept going in and out of the light. I scrabbled at the knob, and it finally twisted free. I burst out into the sunlight. I slammed the door shut behind me and slid to the ground, chest heaving. I lifted up my sweatshirt.

The box tumbled out.

~~~~~~***~~~~~~

Tag: Interference/Staff Notes: ice skates and no brakes
Outfit

♥ ty talyn!
PM
^
Lark
 Posted: Mar 1 2015, 11:44 PM
I'M A • 166
LITTLE • twenty-four
TEAPOT
Group Icon

congratulations!

Congratulations on surviving the first task!

In your hand, you hold he clue for your second task. Yes, that's right -- the wooden cube. Though small and unassuming -- eight inches on any edge and boasting rather plain, but beautifully carved and polished, surfaces -- that cube has everything you'll need to know to prepare yourself for the second task.

For simplicity's sake, it is assumed that your champion solves the mystery of the cube within the coming month before the second task. How that is accomplished in-character and how long it takes is up to you, and the staff encourages you to play it out on the First Task board! So, assuming you all solve the mystery, here is what you find:

• The cube is a 100 step Japanese puzzle box.
  • Inside the box is an almond-sized seed.
  • When you pick up the seed, it starts to rapidly grow into a small, fiery orange flower, similar to a crocus.
  • When the flower unfurls, there is a small, rolled up piece of paper which reads: "Reunite me with my family at the heart of the jungle."

If you care to research the flower, here are some interesting facts you might find:

Classification: Crocus adfectus
Common Name: Happy Crocus
Domain: Tropical, subtropical, and temperate forests

Anatomy: The Happy Crocus is a small, upright flower which grows between four and six inches tall and sports a bloom, nearly identical to the common Crocus sativus. When in fully open, the bloom of this plant is between two and a half to three inches across. The color of the Happy Crocus bloom his highly varied from flower to flower and does not seem to exclude any hue other than green. However, every Happy Crocus sports four long, yellow stamen sprouting from the center of the flower around a shorter stigma. Each stamen ends with an anther that ranges in color from brilliant orange, to bright red, with a few colored in hot pink. The pale, spring-green base of this flower is curious, ending in what appears to be almost vine-like roots, and thin, yet sturdy, vine like leaves sprout in a single pair on the flower's stalk.

Physiology: The Happy Crocus is surprisingly sturdy and resilient for such a small flower. It does not need to be planted, as it does not derive its nutrients from the ground, and will stand upon its roots without additional support. The roots and vines of this flower are prehensile, and the Happy Crocus takes great satisfaction from interacting with its environment through touch. It may pick up small objects, turn them over, and even put them to use. Instead of taking nutrients from the ground, the Happy Crocus feeds off the aura of living things around it. It does not take, but simply thrives in the presence of other living things. It requires companionship at a minimum of one hour, in a single stretch of time, about every seven or eight days. They enjoy sunlight, though it isn't necessarily required for their health, as they are quite accustomed to the dim lighting of various forests. The Happy Crocus has a rather extended natural lifespan of seven to nine years given proper proximity to another living organism.

Psychology: Perhaps the most profound characteristic of the Happy Crocus is its ability to emote. The flower expresses sentient emotion through subtle, limited telepathic communication. A person walking by a Happy Crocus may feel as if the flower is happy or sad -- or any other range of natural human emotion -- without knowing why they know this. The Happy Crocus may also use visual cues to signify their feelings by releasing puffs of pollen in different colors depending on its mood. Studies have shown the meaning of these bursts of color to be similar to the meanings behind the common muggle artifact known as a mood ring. The combination of colors released by the flower may be used to identify its wants and feelings with some measurable accuracy. Contrary to the Happy Crocus's name, they are not always happy and may express individual personalities, habits, and attachments. The flower is also thought to be quite intelligent and seems to learn from its environment and stimuli at a rapid rate. Some Happy Crocuses living in laboratory environments have learned talents such as writing, painting, and playing music. In fact, the hit, contemporary play Back To My Roots, performed at the famous Wizlebucks Wizarding Theater in 2011, was written by one of St. Mungo's medical research specimens affectionately known as Horrace. Rest in peace, Horrace.

NOTE: As Katelyn Tano is the first to complete her task, she is the first to get her clue. The other champions may not react to or act on their clue until their tasks have finished. Upon the completeion of their tasks, the other champions will recive their own clue with small differences.

Judges will be by soon to review and score your task.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail
^
Lark
 Posted: Mar 2 2015, 02:19 AM
I'M A • 166
LITTLE • twenty-four
TEAPOT
Group Icon

COMPOSITION (7/10): The second post has a bit of a contradiction in which it states that "Now would be a good time to panic" and then, after, it states that Katelyn did not think about panicking. Considering the posts are written in a first person perspective the rest of the time, it didn't make much sense to include this contradicting thought that she didn't actually think. Some of the erratic cat thoughts felt a bit excessive to me and kind of threw me off a little when I read the posts after she changed. I also didn't feel very much spacial awareness in the first two posts, which lead to a lot guesswork on my part as the reader. However, the pacing of the posts was consistent, they flowed well from one to the next, and there certainly was a rather high entertainment value.

CREATIVITY (7/10): Each post showed me something interesting and demonstrated Katelyn's individuality. Right off the bat, the flashbulb technique was very effective and intelligent. Then, the animagus morphing was certainly something very unique to Katelyn, though certainly was short-lived. And the use of ice for an expedited escape was something I didn't see coming, though I'm not entirely convinced a person would be able to break the co-efficient of static friction on the ice without a running start, and jumping gives so much downward force that it would only increase the threshold of static friction. Beyond that, the water would have realistically taken time to freeze if it was the air temperature, not the water itself, which was receiving the cold spell.

COMPLETION (9/10): Not only is Katelyn the first to finish her task, but she also managed to complete it on the fourth round, making her highly successful. The pacing of the writing was consistent, but had a hitch in believably with the freezing of the ice. On the whole, though, the task completion felt real and and mostly flowed well from start to finish.

TOTAL: 23

COMMENTS: I have to say, I was really impressed with your writing in this task! You really went beyond your typical output in both quality and word count, and that's wonderful! I really look forward to watching Katelyn perform in her second task.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail
^
adam bradley
 Posted: Mar 6 2015, 10:06 PM
• N/A

Composition (8/10)
Your posts flowed very well from paragraph to paragraph and post to post. I get the feeling that you planned it at least a little, because it was very well executed. I did find the same contradiction as Lark, she kept thinking about why she wasn't thinking about panicking or being scared. That threw me off a little and didn't make much sense. I found myself guessing a lot in some parts of your posts and I don't feel like there was quite enough description. That being said, I loved the cat thoughts. I am a firm believer that there is a downside to any magical ability a character has and you certainly showed that.

Creativity (9/10):
There was a lot of individuality in her strategy, especially the transformation. I love how you were able to use a cat form to her benefit. Blinding the minotaur was also a great idea, and I loved that her second attempt failed. It adds some realism to the thread. Using the ice to move faster was brilliant in my opinion, but I am taking a point off because realistically, the water would not have frozen that fast.

Completion (9/10)
Congrats on being the first to finish the task! You finished it in the perfect amount of time and it was very realistic and believable. You threw in some faults of hers too, like the cat thoughts, which made her more realistic. Everyone has faults! It was completed almost perfectly, but again, that ice wouldn't have frozen that fast, so I do take a point for that.

Total: 27

Comments: You did an awesome job, Mella! You know how to make your characters believable. They are not perfect and you displayed that very well! Your post lengths and flows were great. I hope to see more great posts in the Second Task and in threads in the future!
^
rapunzel gothel
 Posted: Mar 8 2015, 10:34 PM
Dessy • 161
Rapunzel • Sixteen
Tangled
Group Icon

COMPOSITION (8/10): The posts flowed smoothly, and I found the read really amusing - especially Kate's thoughts and comments throughout the entire task. I agree with both Tay and Lark about Kate saying "now was the time to panic", but also saying that she couldn't think about panicking. It didn't make much sense. While the spastic cat thoughts were entertaining, at times they could be a bit confusing. But, it was a very entertaining read.

CREATIVITY (9/10): I thought the entire thing was very creative. Her strengths and weaknesses shone through, even when she transforms into a cat and battles with her cat thoughts, even if they were a bit confusing at times. I loved how she froze the water to make a way out, but the freezing of the water would have took longer than that. Other than that, I loved the creativity in each post.

COMPLETION (9/10): Congratulations on completeing the task first! The posts flowed smoothly, and it was an enertaining read. I only take a point because of the freezing of the water, but other than that, it was great.

TOTAL: 26

COMMENTS: You did a tremendous job! I loved your posts, and the creativity behind them. I can't wait to see more on the Second Task.
PMEmail
^
taika seppä
 Posted: Mar 11 2015, 01:38 AM
chanteuse • 29
tinkerbell • sixteen
disney fairies
Group Icon

Taika was left standing in the audience, and saw the rush of friends to Dick's side. The Durmstrang students seemed to be the more reserved type and she bit her lip, feeling bad for the girl who still didn't have a welcome party. School loyalty aside - it wasn't that girl's fault that she'd been unable to attend because of her blood status - Taika fled the stands to go and receive her. People would probably talk but she didn't care - she never cared.

She crept up to the Durmstrang exit door to the dungeon, checking to make sure that the door was shut and locked before coming closer. She didn't want to risk a goring from the minotaur, which she could still hear crying inside. Big loud mooing wails were coming from within. She felt kind of bad for it, and hoped that they gave it the cube back once the champions got what they needed from it.

"You did a fantastic job." she told Katelyn, offering up a smile and wondering if it would be inappropriate to give her a hug. She looked like she needed one. "I mean, between turning into a cat and even from the beginning being very careful with your approach. I thought you were very smart about it."

She tucked her scarf in front of the pin on her shirt that said #teamgrayson. It's not like she was here for an espionage mission or anything, but it wouldn't do well to rub it in her face, "And hey, you finished first too. I bet they're all really proud of you." she added, looking over her shoulder to where the Durmstrang students were all smiles but still milling about respectably. She wondered if it was because they were in front of their professors or if they were always like that.
PMEmail
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
new reply
Fast Reply
new poll

Skin made by Tana @ Cosmo, Shine, and ATF.

The Beginning We Have Dragons The Omniverse Geek Zone: RPGs and a great community Swan Song
BTW Ages of Arda Once Upon A City
TLBYE